Sunday 15 June 2008

Oh well so much for good intentions!



Well as you can see I didn't wait till the end of the weekend or till the rash had gone. This may seem kind of irresponsible but I decided that the rash was entirely the fault of the sun-cream and the sweet potato only aggravated things and caused a rash because it got smeared over slightly dry skin.

On Saturday night I was cooking dinner and Edward was 'helping' me by very convincingly waving a spatula (visible in the bottom of the shot) however as I picked at bits as I cooked I decided it was unfair that Edward didn't also have something to nibble on, well other than the spatula, so in the end I gave him another rusk despite accusations being leveled at me that I was weaning my baby onto nothing better than digestives! Though I understand the persons point I'm not relying on it for nutrition, I'm just trying to give Edward the opportunity to start getting the hang of eating and rusks are much more convenient than trying to steam a piece of veg each time, they are also nice and soft, so I feel it will be encouraging to him that with very little effort or skill he's still getting 'rewarded' for trying.

He did pretty well eating it, I think! It's always hard to tell how much has gone down the hatch and how much has just been smeared. The new plastic bib was quite effective, however after a while he got bored of eating the rusk and started eating the bib, and so some of the rusk ended up getting on his trousers anyway, which was a shame, it seems I need to develop my 'catching skills' or he's going to have to change clothes every time he eats, or more likely eat naked!

Sunday I gave Edward a whole bottle that he wolfed down after which he was still looking about for more, which I thought would be a good opportunity to try some more food. Just to be on the safe side I gave the sweet potato a miss and instead plumbed for the apple puree. Edward seemed to have improved in his puree eating skills already, and was much better at opening his mouth to eat, and managed the table-spoon or so's worth of food well. It was nice because it was also the first time I fed him at the new dining table, and it made everything much more comfortable.


I'm pleased to report that there has been no dire reactions or horrible poos, so it seems that Edward's tummy is coping well with the new food.

I have found out where and when the baby weighing clinic is held and so we shall be going to that tomorrow. I'm hoping that the health visitors may be able to give me some advice and guidance...however I'm not holding my breath!

No comments: