Friday 13 June 2008

The Sweet Potato Trial

Edward practicing those eating moves!
Well today as I had plenty of time I began experimenting with the purees. I fed Edward one portion of sweet potato, which was about a tablespoon for breakfast, and the same again at lunch, as well as offering him his usual amount of milk, most of which he drank.

It was messy and took a while to go down, and he seemed a bit confused as to what was going on, but didn't struggle or gag once which I was impressed with. It was quite interesting to see him trying to work out what was going on, and how to move his tongue to get the puree from the roof of his mouth and lips down his throat.

He was very helpful as I was feeding him, and stuck his fingers in the bowl and stuffed them in his mouth, he seemed to think that was a much better way of eating, it did look more comfortable and natural for him and so it's made me think quite seriously about BLW as in a way I feel like I'm breaking his natural instincts teaching him to eat puree only to then have to teach him how to handle solids at a later date.

I had intended to give him some more at dinner, but sadly across the afternoon he seems to have developed a rash across his face. I'm not sure of the cause, though suspect it may be a hangover from a reaction he had to some suncream the other day. However in the interests of safety I'm going to give the weaning a rest until it's cleared up.

He has ruminated/ posseted a little more than usual today aswell, nothing dramatic or projectile but enough that in combination with the rash I think it may be best to slow down a little. I must admit I may have gone a bit over-board, but it is an exciting time and both he and I are on a learning curve together with this!

No comments: